Thursday, October 2, 2008

Single Working Moms

When I was a little girl
my mom would often announce
her arrival home after a long day by taking off her "work clothes"
and pouring a gin and tonic (which I mistakenly took for water once...yuck!).
A ritual rite of passage,
transitioning from one role to another,
from working woman to wife/mother,
transitioning from one reality to another,
from executive's chair to lavender leather couch.
The desparation and speed with which she unhooked,
unbuttoned, pulled down and twisted off the cap
signified a desire I couldn't begin to comprehend
as a child. But today, as I take my earrings off
one by one, slip off the socks just heavy enough
to avoid blisters in these god-awful "suitable" shoes,
and rest bed-side comfortable in my body for the first time all day,
I'm taken aback by her straddling two worlds of seemingly divergent
details. I'd like to think my toes inhabit worlds
less alien from one another, and if it is so, G*d bless her
for making such integration a possibility.

No comments: