Monday, October 27, 2008

Screaming

I am screaming inside tonight.
I am screaming because I have...

I have never, in all my life, cared about an election, cared about political persuasion, cared about the outcome on a single day like I do in this time. It feels like the dawn. Like a time-bomb. I see faces and hear stories and find myself refusing to give into the part of me that rebukes hope and optimism. My friend's futures, our generation's ability to sustain itself, our grandchildren's Earth, our potential to reconcile with lost-allies--all of it comes to a head in this time.

Vote for Obama. Do it. It's right, right now.

Vote No on Prop 8. Let people build families on the principle of love, not the tight-rope walking game prescribed by traditional gender roles.

We are screaming for a new momentum.

We are pleading with our music, our t-shirts, our blogs, our organizing and campaigning: do not send our peers out to die any longer; do not destroy our planet; do not build bombs while neglecting the infrastructure of our neighborhoods. Give us a reason to go to college. Give us security in economic reform. Give us a reason to travel abroad without fear. Give us a sense of national pride that can co-exist with dissent and resistance.

We are screaming for a new momentum.

2 comments:

insta-wade said...

you said it, exactly.
the tension is palpable everywhere i go. i talked about the fear of Obama being assasinated with a homeless man this morning. I talked about the exhaustion of uncertainty with a professor this afternoon. I feel like something is hanging on the balance, and I don't know if there's a net below.

Elizabeth Holland said...

I think I told someone the other day with respect to the election that I feel like a rock is about to fall on my head.

My Midwestern catastrophic thinking tells me that it can't all go well on Nov. 4, not all of it, so I'm waiting for the rock.