Friday, May 16, 2014

Moon and Milk


Unclear beginnings and ends 
mark the transitions between dusks and dawns
where moonlight christens the morning air,
sky black as my coffee grounds
and echoes of "twinkle twinkle little star" 
from last night's rocking chair 
are made visual up above.
The world is so high. 
This boy on my breast
mouth open belly fed 
sucks as he sleeps
his bald head a moon too 
emerged from my body 
which has been the entirety of his nourishment
for six months straight.
I don't give a shit if this doesn't strike you miraculous 
just because it's done by womyn
everywhereeveryday. Frequency doesn't eclipse magic. 
Don't tell me I have no power outside 
your roles, expectations, institutions and scripts. 
I make and sustain life
LIFE
with this flesh. It's all here--
power, tender
and shared. 
I am
feeding the whole world 
through this one. This one.   
This one thing
they cannot commodify 
because it is not theirs. It is mine. It is his. 
Within and between us. 
His hunger my thirst.
My bursting his quench.  
There is no money that can quantify in value 
this process of transmission 
which is why mother's are the poorest rich people 

reproducing this Earth.  

No comments: