Saturday, December 1, 2007

Feeding

Check out this article
National
Food Banks, in a Squeeze, Tighten Belts
By KATIE ZEZIMA
Published: November 30, 2007
Food banks around the country are reporting critical shortages that have forced them to ration supplies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us/30food.html?ex=1354165200&en=14d7026c5c814449&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Okay, so the good news is that plenty of us go out to eat, or have stuff hidden in the pantry that we can donate. It takes little effort to hand your left-overs to someone on the street, or to pack a bag of groceries that you carry around with you until you meet someone who is hungry/in need. Consider it the Christmas task of 2007 in light of the food bank shortages.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I refuse to give money to homeless people. If I donate funds, I donate them directly to a shelter or a homeless coalition, where chances are, my money won't be used to buy alcohol or drugs.

So, several years ago, I began making lunches for homeless people in the city I worked in. On several occasions, I was asked for money and handed out food instead, only to see the person literally throw the food away in the trash.

Most people donate at Christmas time, but actually, the highest need of food banks is when school lets out for the summer. I wish more people would take their Christmas spirit and distribute it the other 364 days of the year.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you donate or give directly. That's a great thing. I'm also sorry that people exploited your acts of kindness. That has never happened to me and I imagine I'd be pretty hurt if "my" resources were chucked and not consumed by those I was trying to help.

Thanks for bringing up the summer needs. I'll try to keep that in mind; I had no idea.

As far as donating 364 days a year, I think you're right on. Your wish is my wish. Thanks for commenting on my blog.