Monday, September 2, 2013

Sabbath Gratitude

Exodus 20:8-11


Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.


Thank you
God
for the Sabbath.
For this moment of watching the Tigers play the Red Sox.
Thank you for sending my spouse home
on his lunch break
so that he can eat the sandwich, vegetables and beet chips
I have lovingly prepared.
Thank you for Fall encroaching,
for what I can smell and sense of it already in the air.
Thank you for the email I just received from Sandra,
a simple check in, but profound to me nonetheless.
Thank you for a day off. For a day off. A DAY OFF.
Thank you for the growing boy in my belly,
whose kicks are getting stronger by day
and harder to ignore at night.
Thank you for my daughter, my daughter,
this sensational daughter whose laughter is a light
a lift and drift into love like i've never known it.
Thank you for a home
where calm and quiet surround me, unbind me, soothe me.
Thank you
God
for the Sabbath.
Thank you
God
for my life,
my perfect life.
Thank you
God
that on the Sabbath
I can return to the truth of my life's perfection
and rest in the luxury of gratitude.
Thank you
God.

No comments: