Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Letter to My Firstborn 6 Weeks Before the Due Date of Baby Number Two


Dear Aurora: 

I hail from Queerville. 
Well, that's not true. But I like to claim it.
I wasn't lucky enough to be born in Castro or Greenwich;
I actually hail from second generation middle class white Los Angeles suburbia.
Queerville saved me. Actually Queerville brought you into being,
which was a part of my saving, but more on that at another time. 

What I'm trying to say is that 
anything I've done right and anything about me that's wise 
came from an accumulated clear-as-a-bell smartness 
belonging to the queers, the gays and lesbians, the bold bi's,
those who cross and switch and twerk and flame, 
the tender and fierce transfolks, the awesome androgynes,
the polys and kink-inclined. All of them--

they taught me true love, Aurora. It's that simple.

And because they taught me true love, I am now struggling 
(in a way that's not foreign to being human)
with what I know versus what I feel. 
Queers also taught me that knowing and feeling aren't separate,
so in a sense, this struggle is quite faithful. So I must listen to it.
Listen, like radically, listen. 

They taught me that there is always enough love
and any perceived deficit 
is probably some kind of trauma-induced pain that needs working. 
They taught me that, yes, there are limits on/to love, but not deficits 
and learning the difference between limits and deficits 
is how you heal that trauma induced pain. 

So for years I've been learning and swimming in and sometimes resisting 
the spaces betweeen my perceived deficits and truthful limits. 
In all honesty, I think I'm doing pretty good these days, at the age of 32. 
Anything the queers taught me about love, you, Aurora, have solidified,
albeit unknowingly, with the grace of your presence in my life. 
Mothering is just a doubling down on any lesson of love you've learned 
prior to the occassion of becoming a parent. 

All this to say: I've learned and I've become better. Thank God. 
But right now, staring into the future, there is something calling out to me
to be rigorously honest about how perceived deficits/limits 
are fuzzing like some impossibly gorgeous horizon 
induced by a sunset that you just don't want to quit.  

You see: you and I have about 6 weeks left together. 
Your brother, Isaiah, is supposed to be born on October 24th
and while every ounce of me can't wait to behold him,
every ounce of me is also grieving the loss of me and you. 
Not that we are going anywhere, but a glacial shift is about to happen between us.
There is always always always loss in change. 
And you're too young to get what this change will entail for us.
I feel kinda guilty about that,
but more than anything I feel responsible 
for our collective grief--yours and mine--
in an anticipatory way. 

I am so fucking in love with you. 
What your little life does to me in indescribable. 
What I see in your eyes
What I hear in your babble
What I feel in holding your toddler body
What I sense in witnessing your becoming--
I am so fucking in love with you. 

Part of me is reluctant to share that love. 
There I said it. 

There's a part of me that still believes,
somewhere down deep, 
even though the queers taught me different,
and i "know" different,
that I only have so much room
and only have so many resources
and only have so much time
and only have so many ways
to love
and that when Isaiah arrives 
some of what's available in me will go to him
and you will be left wanting--
the thought of which makes me spiritually sick
and sorrowful in my guts.   

Is this some capitalist-imperialist ideology in me?
Or as the spiritualists would say: "deficit model thinking"? 

For a long time I thought it would be just me and you. 
Just me and you and you and me. 
Maybe it's because I (mostly) grew up with a single  mom
and learned to trust life in that dyad. Or maybe it's because 
I never thought I'd settle into a romantic relationship secure enough
to also contain parenting alongside romance and knew knew knew
I couldn't parent more than one by myself. But up until J.R. arrived
and then Isaiah came along, I thought it'd be momma and kid, only. 

I was prepared for that. I'm not prepared for this. 

I'm not prepared to share my heart with any other little being than you. 
I want to give you everything I have. 
I don't want to have to choose between you and anything else, ever. 
I don't want to be split. 
I want ultimate harmony with you, 
a circadian dance where your needs, the legit ones,
are met by the innate supply G-d has implanted in mommies
for the eternal supply of offspring. 
I'm not prepared for this. 

This morning you woke up late. 
I brought you into bed with me, 
so you could drink your bottle and I could give snuggles
all at the same time. 
Just lingering in that moment, 
feeling the fleeting seconds go by--
will we have this kind of time in 3 months from now?-- 
was enough to bring me to tears. 
And so I stayed. 5 minutes turned to 10.
10 minutes to 20. 20 to 45. 
I was late for work and couldn't care less. 
And then, then I had to write. 
Because even though you will only be this little for so long
and even though I will only have one child for so long
there is nothing that can take my written words away. 
 
When you are older
and I am gone
or I'm still here but you are curious about what it used to be like,
I want you to read this and know-- 
that in the last weeks before Isaiah was born
you were in my constant thoughts
and i was summoning every lesson from Queerville 
that I could possibly summon
because I need to believe, now more than ever, 
that love will make room, will expand, will multiply,
will unlock places in me that i never even knew existed. 
Because I've never ever ever loved anything the way I love you
and I want every single thing that I do, 
including giving birth to and raising another child,
to make my love of you more palpable, more felt, more real. 

The queers have never lied, never led me astray. 
If you understand, years from now, from the context of our relationship,
or in the Spirit of this writing, the difference between limits and deficits,
and most importantly about the power of love 
to create more of itself from itself,
please be sure to give credit where credit is due. 
That is all I ask. 

Love, 
Momma 

3 comments:

Marty Tamburrano said...

Yes. This writing speaks of my heart too. Let me add, that here is where grandma enters, as well. Filling in a bit, here and there. Finding the special place for the firstborn. Fierce protector and ever present second source.

Unknown said...

I am the 2nd of 2 with 4 years between. There were times that I was jealous of the relationship that my sister had with my parents: she changed their identity first, she expanded their horizons first, she scared the shit out of them first. But, what worked with my sister, didn't always work with me, so the expansion continues.
There's something else, though, that happened with 4 that didn't happen with 3. A sibling relationship was formed; a unique relationship with strange ebbs and flows like no other, that my sibling-less parents were (and are) constantly confused by. I can not imagine what it would be like to witness this connection between the beings who have passed through you. Sending you an abundance of love, anticipation, and blessings as you continue to chart new waters.

Sandra Sawyer-Soares said...

Oh EJoye, I know how you feel. Somewhere around the sixth month of pregnancy with Hannah, I decided there was no way I could mother one child well, so there was no way I could mother two! I was in sheer panic! I visited with a counselor because I was having anxiety attacks that couldn't possibly be healthy for me, baby, Taylor, or husband. I settled down and really enjoyed my time with Taylor. I was worried about our relationship after Hannah's birth and was relieved to find out that I loved him even more! I didn't know that was even possible. What ends up happening is new "closenessess" are created. Aurora and Dad. Dad and Isaiah. Isaiah and Mom. Mom and Aurora. And yes, Emily and J.R. You and Aurora enjoy your six weeks of snuggle time. I guarantee that when Isaiah arrives snuggle time will be taken to a new level and you will be lovin you up some kids to the moon and back. With you always. Sandra