Monday, January 16, 2012

Stacy

Oh to see you again.

Literary artisans write poems about the way
eyes can lazer beam across time and space,
creating an interlocking for the spirit of love,
write poems about the way
eyes communicate unspoken truths
within and between their inhabitants,
write poems about the way
eyes do something beyond seeing,
like signifying the loyalty of looking itself,
like enacting fidelity.

We've never been lovers, not of the romantic kind.
You are a friend, though, of the highest loving caliber.
Your eyes never cease to amaze me
whenever we reconnect on couches after years apart
you talking (in the serene and simple ways you do) about the in's and out's,
odds and ends, hopes and cut up despairing of
being a daughter with a mommy gone too soon,
being a mother of twins that sparkle so bright you cannot help but stare,
being a committed partner in ravishing and restless times,
being a teacher that can't drop poetry or justice no matter the standardized demand,
being a devotee endlessly endlessly and again.
  
It is always about fidelity with you,
and yet amidst all the stories and enacted demonstrations
you've shared with me over the years, dear friend,
it is the sheer volume of your eyes
that does the convincing. And I,
I am convinced.

1 comment:

tenderlimb said...

What a gift to me. And what a gift you have for seeing and expressing.
You capture substance and meaning in ways I never thought of, but once I read it I recognize it immediately.

Thank you.

Your friend "of the highest loving caliber,"
Stacy