Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This Is The Way G-d Works...

My mom is scheduled to have surgery this morning. When she first told me about the upcoming procedure I had to negotiate whether I'd be with her before and during her surgery or afterward for a few days. Federal employees get accumulated annual leave and since I've only been doing Chaplaincy at the VA for three months, I don't have enough paid-time-off saved up to leave for entire week. She said she'd rather have me there afterward, so I agreed to spend Thursday, Friday and the weekend in Southern California. Last night I prayed for her over the phone and it was the most powerful prayer experience I've had in my life, bar none. This morning I woke up with a sinking feeling in my stomach knowing she'd be rolled into the operating room without a kiss from me. I prayed and prayed, but something didn't quite feel right. Alas, "your beloved patients need their Chaplain" I told myself; I resolved to drink coffee, get dressed, and headed on to the hospital where I am employed. After a quick round in the Spinal Chord Injury Unit and the Traumatic Brain Injury Unit (where I rotate on Wednesday mornings) I took refuge in the VA Chapel. Silence for 10 minutes. All of sudden it dawned on me: Call the Chaplain Services at the hospital where you're mom is staying. Duh. I grabbed my coat and ran to my office, certain that the 'still small voice' would guide with compassion and mercy. I looked up the hospital website, got on the phone with Chaplain Services and asked "Rev. Amy" to see my mom in post-op. Rev. Amy and I talked a little bit; like any good Chaplain, Rev. Amy asked about my mom's spiritual life and history. And like any good family member, I asked about Rev. Amy's spiritual life and history. Here's the kicker: My mom and Rev. Amy are both members of Claremont United Church of Christ. Rev. Amy is a UCC ordained minister in the Southern California Nevada Conference (where I am currently in-care), she grew up in the Bay Area, is a CPE Supervisor and knows well my CPE Supervisor Sue Turley. I know my mom is in good hands.

No comments: