Tuesday, September 9, 2008

10 on Day 2

So I started CPE yesterday. And tonight I say good-bye to SafeHouse. I'm excited, anxious, sad, nostalgic and grateful--all at the same time.

Several updates...

1) I totally love working in a hospital setting. Talk about The Swarm...
2) Though I've facilitated group for the last 3 years, I'm surprisingly nervous about the InterPersonal Relations group process in CPE. Seems like a lot of narcissistic shit. Wasn't there enough of that in seminary? There's my assumption and resistance. I'm sure i'll get nailed on it. We'll see..
3) Having Wade to check-in with helps a lot. (He did CPE at the VA in Palo Alto last year) Glory to G*d for friendship and the way it "goes before you."
4) Apophatic theology appeals more and more each day.
5) Rigorous objectives and expectations make Emily Joye a happy camper.
6) I'm pretty sure trauma will be the most pressing "issue/reality" facing ministry in the 21st century. Best to get prepared, ey?
7) Berkeley is a bubble. Palo Alto is a grid.
8) Transitioning "out" is harder than starting fresh--for me anyway. I've been trying to put words and ritual to my grief around leaving SafeHouse, but I just end up staring at the wall.
9) I don't have a coffee-maker yet. Dying in the mornings. Seriously.
10) Faces, words and the presence of people far and near stay with me throughout the day, shaping the way I perceive, respond to and integrate what's happening. here i begin to understand The Body that sprouts and spirals in, outside, and across space and time, while enhancing the materiality of living. What a beautiful Body it is! I love you all.

1 comment:

insta-wade said...

I read something from Maximos the Confessor (around 640 CE) that reminded me of your post. "If you theologize in an affirmative or cataphatic manner, starting from positive statements about God, you make the Word flesh . . . . If you theologize in a negative or apophatic manner, through stripping away of positive attributes, you make the Word spirit . . . starting from absolutely none of the things that can be known, you come in an admirable way to know [God] who transcends unknowing."