Friday, January 11, 2008

On Beauty & In Rainbows

Just finished On Beauty by Zadie Smith. Thanks to CBG and Professor Rivera for putting me on to this brilliant, hilarious, insightful, relevant author. Smith somehow balances the serious and light-hearted with precision and poise. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in race & gender relations, academic culture, art (esp Hip-Hop and/or Rembrandt), family & (in)fidelity. I usually keep a pen by my side--even when I'm reading novels(!)--for the purposes of underlining and tagging, but the plot of On Beauty unraveled so fast, and I found myself so engrossed, that this book lacks ink entirely...except for page 424, which features (perhaps) the most disturbingly true one-liner of all time: "The greatest lie ever told about love is that is sets you free."
Word. I'm on to White Teeth now.

Oh yeah: Have I mentioned how much I love Radiohead's In Rainbows?? It's up there with Kid A which is saying a lot. Check out "All I need" and "House of Cards."

No comments: